Monday 22 May 2017

JODI BIEBER|Soweto Stories from a Viewpoint



Image result for jodi bieberSouth African photographer Jodi Bieber is an adventurer in search of the original relevance and connection among cultures and their societies. In her book, SOWETO, Jodi explores the vibrancy and the intimacy of Soweto culture that was hitherto hidden because of Apartheid, but today, new varieties in assimilation and integration keep evolving.


By Jodi Bieber






Soweto operates in a different way to other, more salubrious suburbs in Johannesburg. There is a strong sense of community of ubuntu [togetherness in Zulu] that binds the place. Children play on pavements and people socialize outside their homes. You will find rival music systems on front steps, pelting out different tunes and sounds. And it only takes a greeting to get invited into someone’s house. If there is a wedding on the road you live on, you are invited.
I have always loved photographing in Soweto. Early on in my career, shortly after the 1994 elections, I would ask my picture editor the Star newspaper if I could go there when it was quiet at work. I remember the gogo [grandmothers] would say, “Don’t stay too long, the tsotsis [criminals] will be out after dark.” And they would ask me where I was from. This hasn’t changed. On my journey this time, no one could believe I was South African. They told me that only tourists come to Soweto. That made me sad.
The biggest change in Soweto that has struck me over time is the shift from political to economical – it’s about rewarding yourself. I went back to a school pi attended in the 1970s and the teachers weren’t talking about apartheid in assembly, they were wearing wigs.
It is very easy to overlook what’s on your doorstep which was why I began this project. I drove 7,000km over three months and I kept constantly on the move to get these stories. I met a Michel walking on the street in a suit and he took me to his house. He lived in a shack made from corrugated iron but he’d made that place his home. I headed to Xola, which people usually think of as a crime-ridden area and I met Bongani, a young guy with a manicured lawn and an inflatable dolphin postbox. On another occasion, I spotted a sign saying Snake Show and went to meet Nolwadle and her anaconda. I also met Andrew who is the most eccentric person in Soweto. He told me to come round to his house and he’d do a mini fashion show for me. He had at least 50 pairs of shoes and 60 suits. These are the stories of Soweto from book entitled SOWETO



No comments: